20 Questions to Ask Your New Home Builder
Building a home is a huge undertaking, and deciding who will design and built it for you is the most important part of the process. To get it right, you’ll need to do plenty of research before signing on with anyone.
Before you even meet with any companies, gather all the information you can about home builders in your area. Check newspaper advertisements, web search engines and social media sites. If you’re able, talk to people in the area who have built homes to get recommendations. Once you have a few companies in mind, visit their websites and check out their ratings on sites like the Better Business Bureau, Yelp or Google Reviews. Not only will this preliminary process help you spot red flags, it gives you a chance to jot down questions as you look through their sites and portfolios.
After you have narrowed down your top choices, set up times to meet with them. If you’re not sure where to start, here are 20 questions you should definitely ask your new home builder:
- How long have they been in business?
- Have they ever done business under a different name?
- Can they provide references of recent buyers/occupants?
- Are they taking care of construction financing?
- Who would be building your home? Will there be a dedicated project manager? (If so, can you meet them?)
- How long does it take to get a price estimate?
- Are their options to customize their floor plans? How does that affect the price?
- Are you allowed to buy your own appliances or materials?
- Is landscaping included?
- Are there any homeowners rules or regulations?
- What is their procedure for selecting subcontractors and vendors?
- How do their handle county/town permitting fees?
- Have they ever declared bankruptcy?
- Have they ever been sued? (And what was the outcome?)
- What is their communication process like during the building process? Can they provide regular updates, with photos, of the progress?
- What type of warranties do they offer?
- How long does the process take?
- What are your inspection processes like, during construction and at the final walk-through?
- What is their company philosophy?
- What is their business model?
Ultimately, you want them to explain what sets them apart from other home builders. And don’t forget — it’s not just about cost and reputation. You’re going to be working closely with these people for months to bring about your new home, and that will be much more fun for everyone if you work with someone who understands and supports your vision. A reputable design build firm will be glad to answer all of your questions and make sure you’re at ease with the process.
Still have questions? Let us help! Contact us at 636-462-3500 or email us here.